Date: 03 October 2017 / 19 October 2017
Location: San Francisco
In partnership with Global Philanthropists Circle (GPC), TPW will be hosting a two-part discussion on Journalism, Media and the Role of Philanthropy this fall in San Francisco. These two half-day programs will be held on October 3rd and 19th and each will consider the changing landscape of media and explore the intersection of philanthropy and journalism.
This program seeks to:
• Understand the current landscape of media, including the business of media and how people access information as well as new digital frontiers for the form.
• Explore the intersection of philanthropy and journalism.
• Introduce new models in media and journalism and what they need to succeed.
• Consider how to amplify marginalized voices and bring new stories to the fore.
• Examine what is needed to shore up media’s role as a watchdog for democracy.
Speakers will include Vivian Schiller, former president and CEO of National Public Radio, and former head of news and journalism partnerships at Twitter; Dave Lesher, co-founder, CEO and Editor, CALmatters; Cristi Hegranes, Founder and Executive Director of Global Press; and representatives from KQED Public Media.